CV for Dr. Holland
- Mount Sinai Medical Center, July 1992 to June 1996
- Chief Resident, Schizophrenia Research Ward, January 1994 to Feb 1995
- Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Medical Degree, 1992
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Bachelor of Arts, 1987
- Major: Biological Basis of Behavior. Concentration: Psychopharmacology
- Attending Psychiatrist, Bellevue Hospital
- Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, 1996 to 2005
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, NYU School of Medicine, 1996 to 2012
Current Research Positions
- Medical Monitor, MDMA in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Medical Monitor, Cannabis in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Fall 1993 to Summer 1996 Principal Investigator of protocol involving the glutamate neurotransmitter system in schizophrenia using d-cycloserine. Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Summer 1989 to Summer 1992 Clinical Psychiatric Research involving auditory hallucinations. Under the direction of Kevin Riley, PhD, Department of Psychiatry, Temple University Medical Center
- Summer 1987 to Summer 1988 Clinical Neurological Research involving regional cerebral blood flow measurement with Xenon 133. Under the direction of Brett Skolnick, PhD, Department of Neurology, Graduate Hospital
- Spring 1986 to Summer 1987 Independent Study assisting protocol preparations for clinical psychopharmacological research. Under the direction of Edward Schweizer, MD, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania
- Summer 1985 Neuropsychological Research involving Alzheimer's Disease. Under the direction of Myrna Schwartz, PhD, Department of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania
- National Institute of Mental Health, Outstanding Resident Award, 1994
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- Mental Health Professionals Harm Reduction Group
- Lindesmith Drug Policy Seminar Series
- Heffter Research Institute
- Drug Policy Alliance
- Marijuana Policy Project
- Author, Moody Bitches: The Truth About The Drugs You're Taking, the Sleep You're Missing, the Sex You're Not Having, and What's Really Making You Crazy. Penguin Press, 2015
- Editor, The Pot Book: A Complete Guide to Cannabis. Its Role in Medicine, Politics, Science, and Culture. (A non-profit book funding therapeutic cannabinoid research) Park Street Press, October, 2010
- Author, Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych ER. Bantam, October, 2009
- Editor, Ecstasy: The Complete Guide. A Comprehensive Look at the Risks and Benefits of MDMA (A non-profit book funding therapeutic MDMA research) Park Street Press, 2001
- Holland, Julie; "Positron Emission Tomography Findings in Heavy Users of MDMA" Lancet, 1999, Vol 353(9152) p772.
- Holland JA, Nelson LW, Ravikumar PR, Elwood WN; Embalming Fluid-Soaked Marijuana: New Drug or New Guise for PCP? Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 1998, Vol 30(2) pp. 215-219.
- Holland JA, Riley KC; Characterizing Auditory Hallucinations: An Aid in the Differential Diagnosis of Malingering Journal of the American Association of Emergency Psychiatry, 1998, Vol 4, No. 1, pp. 3-5.
- Holland, JA; Hallucinogenic Drugs in Experimental Psychiatric Research. Bulletin of Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, 1997, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 31-36.
- Holland, JA; Psychedelic Researchers: The Next Generation. Bulletin of Multidisciplinary association for Psychedelic Studies, 1993, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 40-42.
Letters to the Editor, Op Eds, Magazine Articles